- Yields: about 3 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 65 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 cup (150mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125mL) cherry jam or pie filling
- 1 tbsp (15mL) kirsch or cherry liqueur, optional
- GAY LEA - Regular Whipped Cream
- Beat the butter with the sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir the flour with the cocoa and salt in a separate bowl. Beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture just until combined. Roll 1 tbsp (15 mL) portions of the dough into balls. Arrange balls 2 inches (5 cm) apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Use the end of a large wooden spoon to create an indent in each ball; chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Bake in batches for 20 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and immediately reinforce the indents if needed. Cool completely on a rack.
- Stir the cherry jam with the Kirsch (if using). Fill each indent with an equal portion of the cherry mixture. Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.