- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups (425mL) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold, room temperature
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) lemon zest, grated
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 cups (125mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 3 cups (750mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 6 lemon curls, see cooking tip
- 6 mint leaves, to garnish
InstructionsPreheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter 6-cup jumbo non-stick muffin pan (each 3 1/2”/9 cm diameter and 3/4 cup/175 mL capacity). In medium bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy and holding soft peaks. In large bowl using an electric mixer, cream 1 cup (250 mL) each of butter and sugar until fluffy and light yellow; add egg yolks and lemon zest; beat 1 minute.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. On low speed, mix in half of flour mixture with butter mixture, just until blended. Blend in half of milk. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and then milk, beating after each addition until blended. Gently fold reserved egg whites intobatter. Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin pan. Place in centre of oven and bake 25 minutes or until baby cakes are browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar, until well blended; about 1 minute. Add 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice, then remaining icing sugar, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, beating well after each addition. Cut each cooled baby cake in half crosswise. Spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) of icing over bottom layers and top with cake tops, pressing lightly. Decorate baby cakes with icing. Garnish with lemon curls and fresh mint.
- Use vegetable peeler or citrus zester to remove long thin strips of peel from around the lemon. Cut to desired length and roll strip into curl. If icing becomes stiff, place hot cloth around bottom of bowl and stir, or add 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk or cream at a time to desired consistency.
- Credit: Dairy Farmers of Canada