- Yields: Makes about 2 dozen sandwich cookies
- Preparation: 120 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup (250mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mL) egg whites, well shaken
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened and cubed
- 3/4 cup (175mL) apple butter
- Pulse the flour with the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a food processor bowl to combine. Add the butter; process for 1 minute or until the dough comes together in a ball. Divide the dough into two portions and transfer to sheets of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to shape each portion into a log, about 2-inches (5 cm) in diameter. Chill for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to slice easily.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven. Slice the logs into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds; arrange, at least 2-inch (5 cm) apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake, in batches and rotating the sheets halfway through baking, for 12 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are pale golden. Cool completely on a rack.
- Combine sugar and egg whites in large non-reactive bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water. Heat, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or just until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Beat, using an electric mixer, on high, for 10 minutes or until very thick and glossy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and gradually beat in the butter, one cube at a time. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy. Add the butter and beat for an additional 2 minutes or until well combined and fluffy. Makes about 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) frosting.
- To assemble, generously dollop half of the cookies with 1 tbsp (15 mL) frosting. Add a second cookie and gently sandwich together. Chill cookies for at 30 minutes to set the frosting.
- Make-Ahead: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Sandwiched cookies can be held stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Baker’s Secret: For an easy and tidy way to fill the cookies, transfer the buttercream to a re-sealable plastic bag; cut the corner to pipe just the right amount of frosting onto the cookies.
- Double Duty: Leftover buttercream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Before using the buttercream, just bring it to room temperature and beat for 1 to 2 minutes or until fluffy. Use it to sandwich another batch of shortbread or to garnish cakes and cupcakes.