- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation: 1 hour (+ 1 hour chilling time)
- 2 cups (500mL) GAY LEA - Gold Premium Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (250mL) cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) cream of tartar
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75mL) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) HEWITT'S - 35% whipping cream
- 2 cups (500mL) strawberries
- 1 cup (250mL) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 10-inch (25 cm) tube pan.
- In bowl, sift together icing sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at medium speed until foamy; gradually beat in granulated sugar, 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract and salt. Beat at high speed until glossy peaks form. Gently fold in flour mixture, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, until well combined, being careful not to deflate the egg whites.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 35 minutes or until cake is golden and skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Turn cake out onto rack; remove pan and let cool completely.
- In large bowl, whisk together sour cream, brown sugar and remaining vanilla. In separate bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; gently fold into sour cream mixture.
- Cut cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on serving plate; spread with one-quarter of the frosting. Repeat layers twice, icing sides of cake with remaining frosting. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries over top of cake. Dust with icing sugar.
- Garnish the cake with candied pecans for an extra-sweet crunch.