- Yields: 30 cookies
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) almond extract
- green food colouring
- red food colouring
- ⅓ cup (75mL) red or green sugar, coarse
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and icing sugar until smooth and creamy. On low speed gradually add flour and almond extract until dough comes together. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Leave one portion as is. Colour one portion green and the other one red. Work dough with hands to incorporate the colour thoroughly. Divide each portion of dough into 3 parts and shape each piece into a ball. You’ll have 9 balls, 3 of each colour.
- Place balls on a board, alternating colours and pressing them together then shape into a 9-inch (23 cm) log. Spread coloured sugar on a sheet of waxed paper and roll log in it until thoroughly coated. Wrap and chill until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Cut log into 1/4- inch (5 cm) slices and place about 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until just starting to brown around edges. Cool for 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Vary the colours to suit the season. Pink, yellow, and pale blue are great for spring.
- Use a serrated knife to slice rolls.
- Omit sugar coating if desired.