- Yields: 18
- Preparation: 40 minutes (+ 1 hour 30 minutes chilling time)
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (550mL) all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10mL) cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp (2mL) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1mL) nutmeg, ground
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cloves, ground
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cardamom, ground
- ¼ tsp (1mL) anise seeds, ground
- ¼ tsp (1mL) pepper, white and ground
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60mL) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60mL) molasses
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1/3 cup (75mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125mL) speculoos cookies, crushed (about 12 cookies)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) milk, sweetened and condensed
- 2 tbsp (30mL) milk, evaporated
- 2 tbsp (30mL) icing sugar
- Cookies: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, anise, white pepper and salt; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg. Beat in molasses and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half; shape into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On lightly floured work surface, working with one portion of dough at a time, roll out dough into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness.
- Cut dough into 48 rounds using 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, rerolling scraps as needed. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake one sheet at a time in centre of oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until tops are set and bottoms are lightly golden. Transfer cookies directly to rack; let cool completely.
- Cookie Butter: In food processor, pulse together cookie crumbs, butter, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk until blended. Add icing sugar; pulse to combine. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes or until spreadable.
- Spread half of the cookies with 1 tsp (5 mL) cookie butter; cap with remaining cookies. (Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Use a round fluted cookie cutter for decorative effect.
- For the cookie butter, use the cookies made from re-rolled dough, as these cookies won’t be as light and crisp as the cookies cut from dough that was rolled just once.