- Yields: 40
- Preparation: 30 minutes (1 hour 30 minutes standing time)
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 ¾ cups (425mL) gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp (10mL) gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30mL) organic red food colouring
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Whisk together gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and cocoa powder until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in food colouring and vanilla; stir in flour mixture just until combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until dough is firm and well chilled.
- Roll tablespoonfuls into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls; freeze balls for 30 minutes. Roll balls in icing sugar to coat; transfer to 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time in middle of oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookies puff up, tops are cracked, and centers are just set.
- Transfer to rack; let cool completely. (Can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)
- For sandwich cookies, press 2 cookies together with cream cheese frosting in the middle.
- For an all-natural option, substitute beet juice for food colouring.