- Yields: 18
- Preparation: 50 minutes (+ 15 minutes cooling time)
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10mL) anise seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp (2mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15mL) zest, orange
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla, extract
- ½ cup (125mL) pistachios, toasted
- ½ cup (125mL) almonds, slivered and toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Whisk together flour, anise seeds, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in orange zest and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture, mixing just until dough comes together (if dough is too sticky, add a bit of flour). Stir in pistachios and almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 14- x 2-inch (35 x 5 cm) log. Place logs on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; about 3 inches (8 cm) apart.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until logs are spread and puffed, tops are firm to the touch and bottoms are lightly golden. Let cool on rack for 10 to 15 minutes or until cool to the touch.
- With serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Place cookies cut side down, on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300˚F (150˚C). Bake cookies, turning once, for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Let cool completely on baking sheet set on rack.
- Dip biscotti in white or dark chocolate if desired.