- Yields: 80 slices
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15mL) orange zest, grated
- 1 tsp (5mL) almond extract
- 2/3 cup (150mL) sliced almonds
- Cream or milk
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 5 tsp (25mL) orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg, orange zest and almond extract until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Knead to form a smooth dough. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each into a roll 7 inches (18 cm) long. Place 2 rolls on each prepared baking sheet 4 inches (10 cm) apart. Flatten to 1 1/2 inches (4 cm). Brush with cream and sprinkle with almonds, dividing evenly. Press nuts in gently.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on sheets 5 minutes then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix icing sugar and orange juice to a smooth drizzling consistency. Drizzle over strips. Let frosting set then cut diagonal into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices.
- Use blanched or unblanched almonds or hazelnuts.
- The frosting is attractive and tasty but not essential.