- Yields: 32 brownies
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, melted
- 2 cups (500mL) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (150mL) cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (50mL) milk
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250mL) pecans, chopped and divided
- 14 oz (400g) soft caramels, unwrapped (about 50)
- 1 can (300mL) sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180°C). Line a 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan with enough parchment paper to overhang edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, melted butter, eggs and milk until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into cocoa mixture, mixing well. Stir in chocolate chips and ½ cup (125 mL) pecans. Spread two-thirds of the batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan over low heat, heat caramels and sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly until smoothly melted, about 10 minutes. Pour over baked brownie. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top. Drop remaining chocolate batter by spoonfuls over caramel layer. Spread gently, then swirl with the tip of a knife to marbleize the caramel and top chocolate layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or just until set. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Using parchment paper as handles, transfer brownies from pan to cutting board. Cut into bars.
- Replace pecans with walnuts or almonds
- These will be much easier to cut if cold.