- Yields: 32 cookies
- Preparation: 3 hours, including chill time
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) flour
- 1 cup (250mL) ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125mL) jam
- Whisk together flour, hazelnuts, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer on high until well blended, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla, mixing to combine after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and stir until mixed. Divide dough in half and wrap both in plastic wrap. Flatten each into an inch thick disc and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Turn one disc of dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a scant ¼-inch thickness. Cut into 2-½-inch rounds, rerolling scraps as needed. Use a smaller (about 1-inch) cutter to cut desired shapes from the centre of half of the cookies (reroll or bake cutouts). Transfer the cookies with cutouts onto one pan and the cookies without onto the other. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake until lightly golden around edges, about 9 to 11 minutes (cookies with the cutout bake a little faster). Cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough, chilling and baking as directed.
- To decorate, spoon a generous teaspoon of jam onto the bottom side of the cookies without a cutout, spreading it to within ¼-inch of the edge.