- Yields: Makes 20 shortbread
- Preparation: 36 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, softened
- 1 tsp (5mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25mL) poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. In separate bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest and cayenne; using wooden spoon, gradually stir into butter mixture. Using tablespoonfuls, roll dough into balls. Place balls on parchment paper lined cookie sheets; flatten into discs.
- Bake in centre of oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on pan on racks. (Shortbread can be stored in airtight container for up to 3 days).