- Yields: 24 squares
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon zest, grated
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups (425mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (15mL) lemon zest, grated
- ½ cup (125mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (50mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- ¾ cup (175mL) dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Line a 13 x 9 – inch (3.5 L) baking pan with enough parchment paper to overhang edges.
- In a large bowl combine flour, icing sugar, lemon zest and salt. Add butter and mix on low speed of electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Combine flour and baking powder. Whisk into egg mixture until smooth. Stir in cranberries. Pour over warm crust, distributing cranberries evenly.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or just until set. Cool completely in pan on rack. Using parchment paper as handles, transfer squares from pan to cutting board. Cut into squares.
- Replace lemon zest and juice with lime.
- Replace dried cranberries with dried cherries.
- Be sure to remove zest before squeezing juice from lemons.
- To get the most juice from a lemon, warm in a microwave for about 15 seconds.