- Yields: Makes about 4 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 12 minutes
- 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 cups (550mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/4 cup (50mL) fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Finely grate enough zest from the lemon to measure 2 tbsp (30 mL); juice the lemon and set aside. Place the flour, sugar, basil, salt and lemon zest in a food processor; pulse until combined. Add the butter and process for 1 minute or until the mixture clumps together.
- Roll 1 tbsp (15 mL) portions of the dough into balls. Arrange the balls, about 2-inches (5 cm) apart, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to slightly flatten each cookie.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk the icing sugar with 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice until smooth and pourable. Add extra lemon juice, 1 tsp (5 mL) at a time as needed, to get the desired consistency. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and let stand until set.
- Make-ahead: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- A Bit of Crunch: Sprinkle the top of the cookies with coarse sugar for added crunch.