- Yields: About 20 shortbread
- Preparation: 165 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) IVANHOE - Old Cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, large, seeded and chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (175mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1/3 cup (75mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, cold and in pieces
- In a food processor, pulse cheese and jalapeno together, until finely chopped. Add flour, mustard and pepper. Pulse just to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with butter the size of peas. Pour in 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of ice water. Pulse just until dough starts to hold together, adding up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more water if dough seems dry. Shape into disc. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, 2 hours or for up to 24 hours (disc can be frozen for up to 2 months; thaw in fridge before rolling).
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Dusting with flour to prevent sticking, roll dough to ¼-inch (5mm) thickness. Using 2-inch (5 cm) cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Transfer to parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.