- Yields: Makes 24 servings
- Preparation: 350 minutes
- almonds, ground
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular, cold
- 8 oz (250g) cream cheese, plain, brick-style and softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) icing sugar
- 1 (225g) GAY LEA - Regular Whipped Cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45mL) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 6 egg yolk, omega 3
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular, cold
- 3 tbsp (45mL) orange zest, finely grated
- GAY LEA - Regular Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine the ground almonds, flour and sugar in the food processor; pulse to combine. Add the Spreadables; pulse until crumbly. Press into a parchment paper-lined 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden all over. Cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar until smooth. Pipe in the entire contents of the whipped cream canister; beat just until combined. Spread evenly over the cooled crust; chill for 1 hour.
- Whisk the sugar with the orange juice, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt in a heavy saucepan. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until very thick. Remove from the heat and whisk a little of the orange mixture into the egg yolks; whisk the warmed egg yolk mixture into the remaining orange mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until very thick. Remove from the heat; stir in the Spreadables and orange zest. Transfer to a shallow dish to cool for 15 minutes.
- Dollop the orange curd over the cream layer; spread evenly. Chill the dessert for at least 4 hours before slicing into bars. Garnish with a rosette of additional whipped cream just before serving.
- Dessert Course: Cut the bars into 12 larger portions for an indulgent dessert option.
- Make-ahead: The dessert can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- Berry Dream: Replace the orange curd layer with raspberry pie filling for a festive looking dessert.
- Baker’s Secret: Use a rasp or the side of a box grater with the finest holes to zest the oranges.
- Pantry Swap: Use unsalted raw almonds instead of pre-ground nuts. Simply process the nuts along with the sugar until ground before adding the flour and proceeding with the recipe. Toast the almonds before grinding for even more nutty flavour.