- Yields: 60 Cookies
- Preparation: 1 hour
- 2 3/4 cups (680mL) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (8mL) cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (60mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) rum extract
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, ¾ tsp nutmeg, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat together butter, 1-¼ cups granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer on high until lightened in colour, about 2 min. Add eggs, one at a time and mix to combine. Add vanilla and rum extracts until well blended. Add flour mixture until mixed.
- Mix together remaining sugar and nutmeg in a shallow dish. Roll dough into one tablespoon balls, add to sugar mixture and roll to coat. If you find the dough a little soft to handle, moisten hands with cold water before rolling.
- Place onto the prepared sheet 2-inches apart. Bake in batches until cookies are just beginning to brown at edges, about 9 to 11 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.