- Yields: 30 cookies
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- ¼ cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (1L) corn flakes cereal
- ¾ cups (175mL) pecans, chopped
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking soda
- ¾ tsp (3mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175mL) brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1 (100g) 85% dark chocolate, chopped (⅔ cup/150 mL)
- Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour cornflakes cereal into a bowl. Crush with your hands to half their original size. Stir in pecans and melted butter. Toss thoroughly. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often until toasted. Set aside to cool while preparing dough. Increase oven temperature to 375° F (190° C).
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown and granulated sugars together until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate and corn flake mixture.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° F (190° C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- Replace chopped dark chocolate with milk chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Replace pecans with walnuts or unblanched almonds.
- Invest in real vanilla extract. The flavour is far superior to artificial vanilla.
- Golden and dark brown sugars are interchangeable. Dark has a slightly stronger molasses taste so it’s a personal preference.