- Yields: 40 biscotti
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (550 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp (22mL) lemon zest, grated
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250mL) cranberries, dried
- ¾ cup (175mL) almonds, slivered
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon zest and juice. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until dough comes together. Stir in dried cranberries and almonds. Knead until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into halves. Shape each into a roll 12 inches (30 cm) long. Place 4 inches (10 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet. Flatten rolls to 2 inches (5 cm) wide.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until firm and golden around edges. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes on sheet then transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices. Place cut sides down on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until crisp and golden. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Replace dried cranberries with chopped dried cherries or apricots.
- Replace slivered almonds with chopped unblanched almonds or pecans.
- Warm citrus fruit in microwave about 15 seconds before juicing to get the most juice.