- Yields: Makes 16 wedges
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1 dash almond extract, (Optional)
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75mL) almonds, ground
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125mL) almonds, slivered & toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Line the bottom of two 8-inch (2L) springform pans with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and almond extract, if using. In separate bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, cinnamon and salt.
- Using wooden spoon, gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Divide dough into two equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time, press onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Using sharp paring knife, but without cutting all the way through dough, score dough into 8 wedges. Repeat with remaining dough. Scatter slivered almonds evenly over both doughs, pressing lightly so they adhere.
- Bake in centre of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden but not browned. Cool in pan on rack. Remove springform sides and remove cookie from base. Gently separate into wedges.