- Yields: 48 cookies
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250mL) cornstarch
- ½ cup (125mL) hazelnuts, ground
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 5 squares (1oz) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp (5mL) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125mL) hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and ground hazelnuts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla together until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture beating until blended. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place on prepared baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Flatten with bottom of a glass dipped in flour.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt chocolate and oil, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl for easy dipping. Dip side of each cookie into chocolate, covering half-way up. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on the chocolate. Set on a rack placed over waxed paper. Chill 20 minutes to set chocolate.
- Replace hazelnuts with pecans or unblanched almonds.
- These are delicious as a plain cookie as well if time is critical.
- Store nuts in the freezer to retain freshness. The flavour is always better if lightly toasted before using.