- Yields: 42 biscotti
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (625mL) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45mL) instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30mL) coffee liqueur
- 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (28g each), chopped
- semi-sweet chocolate, melted and optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, espresso, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add liqueur. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until dough comes together. Stir in chopped chocolate. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Divide dough into halves. Shape each into a roll 12 inches (30 cm) long. Place 4 inches (10 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet. Flatten rolls to 2 inches (5 cm) wide.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes on sheet then transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 1/2 - inch (1 cm) slices. Stand upright on baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until crisp. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- If desired, dip one end of biscotti in melted chocolate. Place on rack to let chocolate set.
- Leave plain or dip ends in melted white chocolate.
- Replace liqueur with strong black coffee.
- Replace chopped chocolate with mini chocolate chips.