- Yields: Makes about 24 cookies
- Preparation: 35 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup (75mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) peppermint extract, optional
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50mL) cornstarch or rice flour
- 3/4 cup (175mL) candy canes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in peppermint extract, if using. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour and rice flour. Transfer dough to floured work surface. Dusting dough lightly with flour to prevent sticking, roll out dough to ¼ -inch (5 mm) thickness. Cut out 2-inch (5 cm) rounds, re-rolling scraps once. Transfer to parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle surface of each cookie with chopped candy canes. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake in centre of oven for about 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and candy has melted. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.