- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- 3 cups (750mL) broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp (15mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, melted
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) 35% cream
- 2 tbsp (30mL) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) black pepper
- 1 cup (250mL) IVANHOE - Old Cheddar, provolone or gouda cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine broccoli, red pepper and butter in a 13" x 9" (3 L) glass baking dish; toss to coat and spread in an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes or until broccoli is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, using electric mixer, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form; set aside. In separate bowl, beat egg yolks, cream, basil and pepper until blended. Fold in cheese and one-quarter of egg whites. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Pour evenly over vegetables.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until puffed, golden and the centre is set.
- If desired, add 2 cups (125 mL) of crumbled cooked bacon, chopped smoked ham or prosciutto, or 4 cups (50 mL) of chopped smoked salmon with cheese.