- Yields: 12
- Preparation: 3.5 hours
- 1 block (250g) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold, room tempurature
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup (180mL) maple sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) maple sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 3 cups (750mL) Macintosh apples, peeled and finely diced (approximately 3 apples)
- 1 tbsp (15mL) maple sugar
- ¼ cup (60mL) dark maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5mL) ground clove
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5mL) maple extract
- 1 pkg dry active yeast
- ½ cup (125mL) whole milk
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- In a small pot over medium heat, add apples, maple sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and maple extract. Bring apples to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are soft. Remove from heat and break up apples, creating a chunky sauce. Set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan heat milk so it is just warm to the touch. Pour milk into a glass measuring cup; stir in ¼ tsp. of maple sugar and sprinkle yeast over milk. Let rest for 5 minutes or until yeast is foamy. Alternatively, heat milk in a microwave at 10 second intervals to heat through.
- In a medium bowl stir together 2 cups of flour, ¾ cups of maple sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, on medium speed, mix together 1 cup of flour and yeast mixture until dough comes together, 3-4 minutes. *depending on the size of your mixing bowl you may have to scrap down the sides every so often to help the dough form.
- Leave the sponge in the bowl and cover the bowl with saran wrap. Rest in a warm place for 1 hour or until sponge has doubled in size and has some bubbles.
- Once the sponge has doubled, return bowl to the stand mixer. Using the dough hook attachment, begin to stir in eggs and dry mixture; alternating between additions until fully incorporated. Add in ¾ cup of butter, 1 tbsp. at a time. Turn the speed up to medium setting (3) and knead dough for 15 – 20 minutes. Dough will start to pull away from the sides and become more elastic. Once dough has formed a soft ball, Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set dough aside in a warm place to rise and double in size, roughly 1- 1.5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper that reaches up and over the sides.
- Once dough has risen punch out the air and transfer dough to a lightly floured working surface. Press dough into a rough square; fold the sides towards the centre overlapping each other to create a rectangle “Letter Fold”. Then fold either side of the rectangle towards the centre overlapping each other creating a square. Using a rolling pin pat down dough to remove some air and roll out into a 12inch x 12inch (30 x 30 cm) square.
- In a small bowl stir together ¼ cup of butter and 2 tbsp. of maple sugar. Spread maple butter over pastry.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the square into 4 equal squares. Cut each square into 3, 2-inch strips. Spoon apple chutney onto cut strips. Roll each strip into a cylinder and nestle each roll together in 3 rows of 4 seam side down onto the baking pan. Tuck any fallen chutney around the rolls. Melt remaining 2 tbsp. of butter and brush the tops of the pastry.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until pastry puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and while pastry is warm brush with 2 tbsp. of maple syrup.