- Yields: 30 pieces
- Preparation: 8 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) frozen blueberries, or fresh
- 1 pkg (227g) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 1/4 cup (60mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) orange peel, finely grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 3 tbsp (45mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2" (1 cm) thick slices
- Thaw blueberries (if necessary). Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter; place remaining butter in food processor fitted with metal blade. Add 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries, sugar and orange rind. Blend mixture until very smooth; re-pack into tub. Set aside. (Or, mash blueberries, sugar and rind in bowl; whip in butter using a hand mixer until smooth).
- Whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla. In large non-stick skillet, melt some of the reserved, unflavoured butter over medium heat. Working in batches, dip baguette slices into egg mixture and transfer to skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. Repeat with remaining bread and egg mixture, adding more butter to pan as needed.
- Arrange French toast on a warm serving platter. Top each slice with a little blueberry butter and sprinkle with a few of the reserved blueberries.
- Make-ahead: French toast can be reserved for up to 1 day in refrigerator and reheated in a warm oven before serving.