- Yields: 24 servings
- Preparation: 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a grater on the largest holes, grate the chilled butter into the flour mixture and rub with fingertips until it resembles large flakes. Stir in cheese and apples.
- Make a well in mixture and add buttermilk. Using a fork, gently incorporate flour with buttermilk until just combined.
- Turn dough onto large piece of parchment paper and pat down into large disk. Use paper to fold mixture into itself 4 to 5 times. Pat dough down to a ½ ” (1 cm) thick circle.
- Cut out desired shapes with biscuit cutters and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining buttermilk and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For a quick breakfast on the run, grab a scone, slice it in half and add a slice of cheese and fresh fruit preserves – blueberry, cherry, or pear.