- Yields: 12 to 14 pancakes
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 3/4 cup (175mL) STIRLING - Churn 84 butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup (250mL) BLACK RIVER - Maple Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, halved and sliced
- 3/4 cup (175mL) maple syrup, divided
- 2 tsp (10mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (50mL) walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) HEWITT'S - Buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15mL) dried cherries
- In non-stick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned and crisp. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Chop or crumble bacon and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet; heat 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter in skillet set over medium heat; cook apples and 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in lemon juice and cinnamon.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in walnuts, shredded cheese and bacon. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of melted butter until blended; stir into flour mixture until just combined (batter will be lumpy). Transfer batter to measuring cup or pitcher with pourable spout.
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium heat; brush with some of the remaining butter. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup (60 mL) batter into skillet, leaving space between each pancake. Cook, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form on surface. Flip over; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown, wiping pan between batches and brushing with remaining butter as needed.
- Hold pancakes in warm oven until ready to serve. Serve pancakes topped with sautéed apples, dried cherries and drizzle of remaining maple syrup.
- For added bacon flavour, double the amount of bacon.