- Yields: 4 to 6 servings
- Preparation: 26 minutes
- Cut potatoes into equal-sized chunks. Place potatoes in large pot or Dutch oven; cover with cold water and 2 ½ tsp (12 mL) salt. Bring water to boil; cook potatoes for 12 to 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot; cook over medium heat for up to 1 minute or until pan is dry; remove from heat. Meanwhile, stir sour cream with melted butter, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Mash potatoes by hand until smooth. Add sour cream mixture. Beat with electric mixer on high until combined and fluffy. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Gourmet Goat Cheese: Stir 2 tbsp (30 mL) herbed goat cheese in with sour cream mixture; serve with roast chicken or pork.
- Pesto Pizzazz: Stir 1 tbsp (15 mL) sundried tomato pesto in with sour cream mixture; serve with veal or chicken scaloppini, or veal chops.
- Horseradish Herb Mash: Stir 1 tbsp (15 mL) each horseradish and parsley in with sour cream; serve with roast beef or steak.
- Pepper Pepper Mash: Stir 1 tbsp (15 mL) each black pepper and chilli powder or chipotle powder into sour cream; serve with barbecued ribs or fried chicken.
- Fluffy and buttery mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to almost any entrée, fromweekend classics such as roast beef and chicken, to weeknight staples like pork chops and meatloaf.
- Don’t be afraid to add some personality to your side dishes. Stirring in any number of flavourful add-inscan elevate basic potatoes to a gourmet side dish.