- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 89 minutes
- 3 sweet red peppers, large
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 onion, small and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) saffron threads
- 1 cup (250mL) long-grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups (550mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) Nordica 4%
- 1/3 cup (75mL) pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Italian parsley, fresh and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Halve peppers lengthwise, keeping stems intact. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers in 7” x 11” (2 L) baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in saffron threads for 1 minute. Stir in rice until well coated. Pour in 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) chicken stock; bring to boil. Cover skillet tightly, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork. Gently stir in cheese, cottage cheese, pine nuts, parsley and basil. Divide filling among peppers. Pour remaining ½ cup (125 mL) chicken stock into bottom of dish.
- Bake 40 minutes or until rice filling starts to turn golden on top and cheese is melted.
- Experimenting with new foods can fuel your creativity and stimulate your taste buds. Prepare this side dish with a modern, yet unique twist – try stuffing peppers with quinoa instead of rice.