- Yields: 10 s'mores
- 3 tbsp (45mL) red peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) green olives, pitted
- 2 tbsp (30mL) parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp (15mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5mL) lemon zest, finely grated
- 10 slices pumpernickel or Italian bread, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular, divided
- 10 SALERNO - Bocconcini, drained and patted dry
- Combine red pepper, olive, parsley, Parmesan, garlic and lemon zest in a food processor or mini chop; process until paste-like. Reserve. Makes 1/3 cup (75 mL).
- Preheat grill to medium and grease well. Trim each slice of bread into two squares (about 2-inches/5 cm in diameter). Divide 2 tbsp (30 mL) Spreadables butter between pumpernickel squares, spreading on one side. Grill pumpernickel slices, buttered-side-down, for 1 to 2 minutes. Place half the slices, grilled-side-up, on a serving tray. Spread a small spoonful of the red pepper mixture onto each toast.
- Increase grill temperature to High. Melt remaining butter and toss with bocconcini; arrange on soaked skewers. Grill for 2 to 4 minutes, turning frequently, until cheese is grill marked and oozy (but not falling off the skewer).
- Place one piece of cheese on each toast. Cap with remaining pieces of grilled pumpernickel. Serve immediately.
- Replace homemade pepper-olive mixture with another prepared condiment such as tapenade, caramelized onions, or pepper jelly.
- For an extra pop of colour, line the bread with a few leaves of baby spinach, arugula or kale.