- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- Preparation: 66 minutes
- 3 lb (1.5Kg) russet potatoes, well scrubbed
- 1 cup (250mL) BLACK RIVER - Cheddar Cheese Curds
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular, melted
- 1 carrot, small and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, small and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp (45mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 2 tbsp (30mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30mL) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (500mL) beef broth, sodium-reduced
- 1 pepper
- 1 rosemary, fresh
- 3 tbsp (45mL) thyme, fresh
- 2 tbsp (30mL) red wine, (optional)
- Melt the butter in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until well golden brown. Stir in the tomato paste and flour; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the broth, wine (if using), rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes or until thickened to a gravy consistency. Strain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cut the potatoes into long, thick wedges. Boil for 8 minutes or until just about fork tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Toss the potatoes with butter, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium and grease the grate well. Add the potatoes in a single layer; grill, turning as needed, for 10 minutes or until tender and well marked.
- Reduce the grill temperature to low. Transfer the potatoes to a disposable foil lasagna pan or cast iron skillet and arrange. Scatter the cheese over top and drizzle evenly with the gravy. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with green onion and serve immediately.
- Shortcut your party prep by par-cooking the potatoes and making the gravy the morning ahead.