- Yields: About 7 dozen shortbread
- Preparation: 92 minutes
- 2 3/4 cups (675mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 1/4 cup (300mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cold, cubed
- 1 cup (250mL) IVANHOE - Extra Old White Cheddar, grated
- sesame seeds, or smoked salt, (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with cornstarch, sugar, chipotle pepper and salt. Add butter and cheese; pulse until the mixture comes together (add up to 3 tbsp (45 mL) of water if necessary). Divide dough into two portions and form into a rectangular log, about 1” (2.5 cm) thick by 2” (5 cm) wide. Chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Slice logs into 1/8” (3 mm) thick slices. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the trays halfway through baking, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Lightly brush unbaked cookies with lightly beaten egg whites and sprinkle with sesame seeds or smoked salt to garnish.
- Dough can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before baking.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Serve with Buffalo chicken wings and ice-cold beer.