- Yields: 3 dozen thumbprints
- Preparation: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) BLACK RIVER - Monterey Jack, or Cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup (125mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese
- 6 tbsp (125mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250mL) skinned hazelnuts, or almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Original Sour Cream
- 1 tsp (5mL) dried dill
- 36 smoked salmon, small strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In food processor, pulse together Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan cheese and butter until smooth. Blend in yolk and pepper. Pulse in flour just until soft dough forms.
- Place hazelnuts in shallow bowl. Place egg white in another shallow bowl. Roll tablespoons of dough into 1” (2.5 cm) balls. Dip in egg white; roll in nuts to coat. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With thumb, indent centre of each ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes or until firm and slightly golden. Let cool on pan on racks.
- Stir together sour cream and dill. Spoon into each indentation. Top with a thin strip of smoked salmon.
- Hot pepper jelly with Gay Lea Sour Cream topped with fresh coriander and smoked trout or crab.
- Gay Lea Sour Cream with horseradish topped with a thin sliver of rare roast beef.