- Yields: 2 cups (500 mL)
- Preparation: 93 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) onions, or shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1L) spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175mL) blue cheese, Canadian, crumbled
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Original Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup (125mL) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1 pkg (220g) handmade style chips, or kettle
InstructionsThe next time you have the gang over for game night, wow them with your new rendition of the always popular, but often predictable, spinach dip. Unexpected ingredients such as Blue Cheese or Horseradish Cheddar and hot sauce transform a classic into a dip with zest and zing. Extra dip is also terrific as a spread for roast beef sandwiches or burgers.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Cover; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Increase heat to medium; add spinach and stir 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine Canadian Blue Cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise; mash with back of wooden spoon until cheese pieces are desired consistency.
- Stir in onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Dip can be prepared and refrigerated up to one day in advance; the flavours are enhanced as the dip rests.
- Dip is delicious as a spread or condiment for wraps, sandwiches or barbecued hamburgers.
- Stir in ¼ cup (50 mL) crumbled bacon bits before serving.