- Yields: 48 appetizers
- Preparation: 105 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250mL) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp (10mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175mL) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- coarse salt
- Using electric beater, beat butter with cream cheese until light. Beat in sugar. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour and salt. Shape into ball; divide into quarters. Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours. If making ahead, bring dough to room temperature for 20 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using one quarter at a time and dusting lightly with flour to prevent sticking, roll dough into 9” (23 cm) circle. Brush with one quarter of melted butter. Top with one quarter of the pear, cheese and walnuts.
- Cut into 12 pie wedges. Starting at outer edge, roll up each triangle toward point in centre. Place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Brush lightly with egg and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in centre of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Small platters of appetizers are most pleasing to the eye. Keep them fresh and appealing: arrange a variety of nibbles on small platters and refrigerate. Bring out fresh platters as needed as your guests mingle.