- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- 4 cups (1L) SALERNO Akawie Cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs (900g) bread flour
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup (425mL) water, very warm (120 to 130 °F/50 to 55°C)
- ¾ cup (175mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30mL) instant yeast
- ½ cup (125mL) za’atar seasoning
- 1/3 cup (160mL) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) black olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; mix well. Combine water, 3/4 cup (175 mL) oil and yeast in a small bowl and stir until yeast is dissolved. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour liquid in the center.
- With a spatula bring the flour in from the sides and mix well with the liquid. Keep mixing until the mixture starts to come together. Turn mixture out onto a floured board and knead until a smooth, not sticky dough is formed.
- Place dough into a large oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and store in a warm place for at least 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in volume.
- While dough is resting, in small bowl, combine Za’atar with 1/3 cup (75 mL) oil. Place dough on a well-floured surface and divide into 8 equal portions. Knead each portion a little. Roll out into an oval shape to a little less than 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thick.
- Transfer to baking sheets. Spread each oval with the za’atar mixture. Top each with ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Akawi cheese, sliced olives and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked and golden.