- Yields: 30 cookies
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups (300mL) all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175mL) pecans, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125mL) jam or jelly
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour and salt, beating until blended. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into 1- inch (2.5 cm) balls. Dip in lightly beaten egg white, then roll in pecans to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Make a deep indentation in centre of each ball with your finger or end of a wooden spoon.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and press centres down again. Return to oven and bake 10 to 12 minutes longer or until golden around edges. Cool on sheet 5 minutes then transfer to rack and cool completely. If desired, fill centre of cookies with jam while warm or let cool and fill later.
- Replace pecans with walnuts or hazelnuts.
- Replace vanilla with almond or lemon extract.
- Use your favourite thick jam or jelly. A variety of colours looks attractive. Raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, and apricot jam work well. Red currant jelly does too.