- Yields: 24 cups
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- ¼ cup (60mL) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold
- ¾ cup (175mL) ground hazelnuts
- ½ cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (75mL) egg whites, 2-3 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- hazelnuts, chopped and optional
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Generously spray 24 cup mini-muffin pan with baking spray.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat until dark golden. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ground hazelnuts, sugar, and flour. Add egg whites and vanilla, mixing until blended. Add melted browned butter, whisking until smooth.
- Spoon into prepared cups, dividing evenly. If desired, sprinkle tops with chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until browned and set. Cool 5 minutes in pan then invert pan onto a piece of parchment paper to remove cups from pan. Turn cakes right side up on rack and let cool before serving.
- Replace hazelnuts with almonds and vanilla with almond extract.
- For an attractive finish, dust cups lightly with icing sugar just before serving.