- Yields: 25 cookies
- Preparation: 3 hours, including chill/setting time
- 3 cups (750mL) flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) HEWITT'S - 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp (125mL) vanilla
- 13 glace cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup (125mL) jam, raspberry or cherry
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer on high until lightened in colour, about 2 min. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla; mix to combine. Add flour mixture and stir until mixed. Divide dough in half and wrap both in plastic wrap. Flatten each into an inch thick disc and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Turn one dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll to scant ¼-inch thickness. Cut into 2-¼ inch fluted rounds, rerolling scraps as needed. Transfer to prepared pan about an 1-inch apart. Bake until lightly golden around edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough, baking and cooling as directed.
- Whisk together icing sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Using a spoon, smooth a small amount of glaze onto the top side of half of the cookies. Press one glace cherry, cut side down, onto each. Set aside to dry.
- Spoon a teaspoon of jam onto the bottom side of the remaining half of the cookies to within a ¼-inch of the edge. Sandwich cookies together, pressing lightly to adhere.