- Yields: 40 sandwich cookies
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (550mL) all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1mL) baking powder
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp (10mL) instant espresso powder
- 2 tsp (10mL) hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed of electric mixer, beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Shape into small logs about 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) long. Place on prepared baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Flatten slightly with fingers.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or just until starting to brown around edges. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine butter and icing sugar. Mix coffee powder with water. Stir into butter mixture, mixing until smooth. If necessary, add a little more water to make a spreadable consistency.
- Spread about 2 tsp (10 mL) filling on flat side of a cookie. Place another cookie on top, flat side down. Press together lightly. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Replace coffee filling with a peanut butter icing.
- Match up cookies of similar length.