- Yields: 32
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz (250g) brick style cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2mL) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ¼ cups (550mL) all purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
- 7 oz (200g) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125mL) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar
- ½ cup (125mL) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250mL) walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 3 ½ oz (100g) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tsp (20mL) corn syrup, light
- Cookies: Using electric mixer, beat together butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour, beating on low speed until dough starts to form, scraping downside of bowl as needed (do not overwork).
- Transfer mixture to work surface; knead a few times just until dough comes together. Divide dough into 4 portions; shape each portion into a disc. Wrap each portion with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Filling: In heatproof bowl set over larger saucepan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter until smooth. Stir in brown sugar, icing sugar, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Beat together egg and 2 tsp (10 mL) water for egg wash; set aside.
- One at a time, on lightly floured work surface, roll out each disk of dough into 8-inch (25 cm) round, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick.
- Spread 3 tbsp chocolate filling over each round, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border at edge. Sprinkle with walnuts. Using pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each round into 8 wedges.
- Starting from wide edge, roll up each wedge to form crescent shape. Place crescents on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Brush with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool completely on rack.
- Glaze: In heatproof bowl fitted over saucepan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter until smooth. Stir in corn syrup. Let cool to room temperature; drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set.
- Substitute hazelnuts, pecans or almonds for walnuts.