- Yields: 60 cookies
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60mL) cornstarch
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon zest, grated
- ½ cup (125mL) red candied cherries, chopped
- ½ cup (125mL) green candied cherries, chopped
- ½ cup (125mL) pecans, chopped
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, icing sugar and lemon zest until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Stir in candied fruit and pecans. Knead to form a smooth dough. Divide dough into halves. Shape each into a roll 10 inches (25 cm) long. Wrap and chill until firm, 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C). Cut rolls into 1/4 -inch (5 mm) slices and place about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Use 1 colour of cherries.
- Replace some of cherries with candied pineapple or mixed candied fruit.
- Replace pecans with walnuts or leave out for nut allergy reasons.
- Chilling rolls overnight is the best way to make sure it is firm for easy slicing.
- Keep a few of the rolls handy in the refrigerator for unexpected emergencies.