- Yields: 42 crackers
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) IVANHOE - Extra Old White Cheddar
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15mL) ground black pepper, coarse
- 3 tbsp (45mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- smoked salmon
- GAY LEA - Original Sour Cream
- fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
- Using electric mixer, beat butter until airy. Beat in cheese. Combine flour and pepper. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with milk, making three additions of flour and two of milk.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Dusting with flour to prevent dough from sticking, roll out dough to ¼-inch (5mm) thickness. Using 2-inch (5 cm) cookie cutter, cut out rounds, re-rolling scraps once. Transfer to parchment paper lined cookie sheets. (Alternatively, form dough into logs and wrap in plastic wrap and store in fridge for 2 to 3 days. Remove from fridge, slice and place rounds on parchment paper lined cookies sheets.)
- Bake in centre of preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and puffed. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. In bowl, stir together smoked salmon and sour cream. Spoon evenly in centre of shortbread. Garnish with dill sprig.