- Yields: 6 cups (1.5 L)
- Preparation: 50 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50mL) white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50mL) fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) pepper
- 1 lime, large (approx.)
- 3 avocado, ripe and pitted
- 1 GAY LEA - Gold Premium Sour Cream, divided
- 2 tsp (10mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 cup (125mL) IVANHOE - Extra Old White Cheddar, shredded
- tortilla chips
- Stir the tomato with the red and green pepper, onion, coriander and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt and pepper until well combined; set aside.
- Grate enough zest from the lime to measure 2 tsp (10 mL); juice the lime to measure 2 tbsp (30 mL) juice. In a separate bowl, mash the avocados until almost completely smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) Gay Lea sour cream, the lime zest, lime juice, cumin and remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread the remaining sour cream over the bottom of an 8 cup (2 L) straight-sided glass dish. Top with the avocado mixture. Scatter tomato mixture over top. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the tomato mixture. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Add finely chopped jalapenos and/or hot sauce to the tomato salsa for a spicy alternative.
- Make the dip up to 4 hours in advance by layering the sour cream and avocado mixture in the serving dish and holding the salsa mixture separately. Scatter the salsa and cheese over the avocado mixture, discarding any accumulated fluids, just before serving.