Cottage Cheese Meatball Marinara
- 1cupNordica Cottage Cheese250mL
- 1/2cupbread crumbs, plain125mL
- 1/4cupIvanhoe Parmesan Cheese, grated50mL
- 3Garlic Cloves, minced and divided3
- 2Eggs, lightly beaten2
- 1lbExtra Lean Ground Beef500mL
- 1Mild Italian Pork Sausage, casing removed1
- 3cupsPassata or Puréed Tomatoes750mL
- 1/2cupOnion, grated125mL
- 1pinchHot Pepper Flakes1pinch
- 1/2cupFresh Basil Leaves, chopped125mL
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Combine cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 1/3 of minced
garlic, eggs and half each of salt and pepper well. Crumble in ground
beef and sausage meat; mix well.
Shape into 12 equal-sized meatballs; arrange, in a single layer,
in a 9” x 13” (3 L) baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly
browned and set.
Meanwhile, mix passata or puréed tomatoes, grated onion, hot
pepper flakes, remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Pour mixture
evenly over meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or until meatballs
are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened; gently add
basil. Garnish with additional Parmesan to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
• Serve meatballs over hot cooked pasta or rice.
• Spoon meatballs into submarine buns and top with shredded Ivanhoe Mozzarella cheese for a meatball sandwich.
• Make ahead: After baking the meatballs for 15 minutes, cool slightly. Poor uncooked sauce over top. Reserve in the refrigerator for 1 day or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and thickened.
The quest to make a healthier meatball has been a challenge. Often using leaner ground meats leads to tough and dry meatballs. Cottage cheese is the ‘secret’ ingredient that keeps these better-for-you meatballs moist and delicious. Share the fun and host a weekend meatball party. Invite your friends over to make big batches of these tasty, oven-baked meatballs to fill everyone’s freezer with a quick weeknight meal solution.