- Yields: 18 servings (3/4 cup/175 ml each)
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- Combine the water and milk in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the cornmeal into the pot. Reduce the heat to low. Cook, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the cheese and butter until well combined. Season with salt and pepper (adjust to taste). Serve immediately in place of noodles or rice as a creamy side dish for stews, braised or roasted meat and/or poultry entrées.
- Spread leftover polenta into a hotel pan. Chill for up to 2 days. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick slices and pan-fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side in Gay Lea Butter until lightly browned and warmed through. Serve topped with warm chunky marinara sauce and Ivanhoe Parmesan cheese.
- Variation: Stir in flavouring ingredients with the cheese and butter such as chopped fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes or minced garlic.