- Yields: 1 dozen pieces
- Preparation: 25 mins
- 12 pieces IVANHOE - Milled Cheddar Curds
- 1/2 cup (125mL) arborio rice
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 sprigs thyme, washed, leaves picked and rough chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60mL) SALERNO - Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup (75mL) flour
- 1/3 cup (75mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75mL) egg wash
- 2 L vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125mL) gravy
InstructionsRecipe created by Chef Matthew Kennedy
- In a medium stainless steel pot, add stock and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
- While stock is heating, in a large stainless steel pot, add 1 tbsp. olive oil, shallots, garlic and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat until tender and fragrant for 4-5 minutes. Add rice and stir until all the grains are evenly coated in oil for 1 minute. Add ½ cup of hot vegetable stock at a time and simmer slowly until liquid is almost dry. Repeat with 2nd and 3rd cup of vegetable stock as needed. Stir occasionally and check rice consistency (rice should be tender, not crunchy and not soft). Add additional stock if required to reach desired doneness/consistency.
- As soon as rice is done, remove from heat and fold in cheese. Season with salt and black pepper. Spread finished rice onto parchment lined baking sheet to cool before assembling.
- In a medium bowl, add flour. In a 2nd medium bowl, add 3 beaten eggs. In a 3rd medium bowl, add bread crumbs. Add arancini, several at a time to the flour to coat. Then transfer arancini to the egg mixture to coat and finally to the bread crumbs to coat. Place breaded arancini on a plate. Repeat for remaining arancini. Once breaded fry in 350F vegetable oil, using a deep fryer or a deep pot with an oil thermometer. Fry until golden brown and crispy, 4-6 minutes. Remove from oil and serve with your favorite gravy.
- To make this dish vegetarian use a vegetable stock and vegetable gravy.
- Try freezing the arancini once breaded and fry from frozen. They will keep up to 6 weeks in the freezer in an airtight container.