Occupational Health, Safety, and Environment Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Reporting to the Director of OHS Environment & Sustainability, this position is our site SME (subject matter expert), leading and further embedding our health, safety & environmental agenda. This role supports the effective management of our corporate health, safety & environmental program, employee education, and H&S policy and procedure implementation. Working very collaboratively with your Operations, Supply Chain, and other department stakeholders to drive safety awareness within your span of influence, you possess the ability to juggle multiple priorities within a fast-paced environment in different locations, managing a high level of detail including Regulations compliance, claims management, and local WSIB administration. You have a safety-first mentality, understand the value of working as part of a team, and enjoy the challenge of a high-demand role.
- Provide site Health & Safety leadership
- Attend and support site Joint Health and Safety Committees
- Assist in the upkeep of the Occupational Health, Safety & Environmental compliance management system.
- Coordinate and participate in internal and external health, safety & environmental audits and inspections.
- Attend with Ministry of Labour on site audits; follow up to completion on any issued Orders
- Coordinate site return to work programs
- Help coordinate environmental affairs: Environmental Approvals, Monitoring and Reporting (NPRI, Reg 127, etc.), Hazardous Materials Management (waste material disposal), Waste Management (3Rs), and Sanitary & Storm Sewer Discharge (including wastewater treatment)
- Track all health, safety & environmental training programs, training on most
- Report on accidents, providing meaningful analysis to assist in continuously improve the workplace, health, safety and loss control
- Investigate and develop corrective actions for cases of accidents and non-conformances (e.g. environmental spills, dangerous circumstances, etc.)
- Work with construction contractors to increase safety awareness and improve safety practices by: monitoring and inspecting sites to ensure HSE compliance; assisting in and ensuring proper investigation and reporting of incidents and accidents; and conducting in-house training sessions on site (e.g. orientations, hazard assessments, shop talks, etc.)
- Maintain the health, safety & environmental bulletin boards
- Health & Safety University Degree
- 2-3 years of experience as a Health, Safety and Environment Coordinator or equivalent
- Solid working knowledge of health, safety & environmental regulations and related principles and practices
- Experience conducting adult training considered an asset
- Detail oriented with excellent organization skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Effective change management and influencing skills
- Ability to maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality and sensitive information
- Proficient in Microsoft office (Power Point, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to establish priorities and meet firm deadlines
Primarily sedentary in nature with regular interruptions and deadlines. Frequent business travel to other facilities.
Sitting, walking and keyboarding for a considerable length of time.