- Yields: 6
- Preparation: 53 minutes
- 3 tbsp (45mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 onion, large and chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (500mL) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30mL) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (500mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500mL) corn kernels
- 1 cup (250mL) Hewitt's - milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In large heavy saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, red pepper, potatoes, salt, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring for 5 minutes or just until vegetables are starting to soften. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in stock, stirring until blended. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add corn. Cook for 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Stir in milk; allow to just come to simmer. Serve warm.
- For an extra touch of flair, garnish chowder with a small mound of crumbled cooked bacon and a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Refrigerator make ahead: up to 3 days; re-warm gently over low heat.